Only 2% of 3.5 million U.S. teachers are male teachers of color.
Less than 15% of U.S. teachers are African American or Hispanic.
More than 35% of U.S. students are members of a minority.
Over 1/2 of 3 year olds, our future students are children of color.
American Educator: Growing the Next Generation
Amsterdam News: The critical shortage of Black male teachers: To close the gap, we have to start them young
Washington Post: Steering Minority Teens Into Teaching
Gannett Newspaper: Education Secretary Praises TSTT
United Federation of Teachers: Move to the front of the class – Program starts high school students on road to becoming teachers
TSTT Program Growth
Teacher Preparation Impact Constituents
TSTT Teachers – USA
Student Selection Criteria
- High school student with leadership potential
- Recommendations by teachers, administration, and guidance counselors,
- Ability to achieve ‘B+’ average and 90% attendance by end of senior year
- Economic need
Teacher Mentor Commitment
- Recruitment and selection of qualified students
- Assist with student placement in internships
- Arrange job shadowing
- Represent TSTT at various functions